Saturday, May 19, 2007

There are several positive ways to overcome stress


Finding one or two people to talk to or keeping a journal allows you to explore solutions instead of dwelling on your problems. Try relaxing by listening to some soft music or taking a lingering bath or going for a massage. Maintain a healthy diet and take time to eat proper meals at regular intervals. Becoming more physically active helps to release calming chemicals in the brain and promotes better sleep.

Learn to deep breathe to help cope with stress. Take a slow deep breath in through your nose and hold it for a count of five. Push your stomach out at the same time. This makes the air go deeper into your lungs, where the smoke used to go. Slowly breathe out through your mouth to the count of seven. Repeat this three times, and feel the relaxation as your stress drops away.

Learn positive self-talk

Sometimes we have negative thoughts about ourselves or our situation ("This is unbearable, I don't think I can do this" or "I feel awful, why am I doing this to myself?"). The more people engage in negative self-talk, the less likely they will stop smoking. If you catch yourself using negative self-talk, say the word "stop" to yourself. Take a moment to clear your mind and then replace the negative talk with positive self-talk.

Examples of positive self-talk include:

  • It will get better in time.
  • I've handled things tougher than this.
  • What I feel is evidence that my body is healing itself.
  • I don't have to smoke. I can do something else right now.
  • I only have to deal with one day at a time.

No comments: