Friday, May 18, 2007

Vivek Oberoi plans to go slow and steady in Bollywood

Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi who has remained in news more for his off-screen controversies than performances in movies since his debut five years ago says that he does not believe in assessing his career.

''I am what I am today because of the collective sum of my experiences. Highs and lows in my personal and professional life have made me what I am today,'' Vivek told UNI in an interview.

When asked to rate his career so far, he said he had just begun.

''I want to do good work and concentrate on one film at a time. I am going slow as I do not believe in rat race and competition. I have not signed a single film in the last 15 months,'' Vivek said.

Over the last one year, Vivek said he had concentrated only on Apoorva Lakhia's ''Shootout at Lokhandwala'' in which he plays gangster Maya Dolas.

After an impressive debut in Ram Gopal Varma's 'Company' as gangster Chandu, Vivek displayed his acting prowess in films like 'Sathiya' and 'Yuva'.

What followed later was a relationship with actress Aishwarya Rai and Vivek calling a press conference at his home and alleging how Rai's ex-beau Salman Khan called him 40 times and threatened him. Vivek and Rai worked in a film which bombed at the box office and later she called off the relationship.

But, Vivek says he has put all controversies behind and does not want to dwell in the past. ''I do not want to look back. I want to move ahead and do good work,'' he said.

Speaking about his role of Mayabhai in 'Shootout...', Vivek says the character Chandu in his debut film 'Company' five years ago was in complete contrast to Mayabhai. ''Chandu was brave but a vulnerable man. But, Maya is absolutely fearless. He instils fear in others. Fear is his weapon and conflict excites him. Maya is an edgy, larger than life character,'' Vivek said.

The actor said he researched on Maya Dolas for three months before beginning the shooting for the film. ''I met cops, convicts and criminals to understand the mindset of people on the wrong side of the law. I also went through police records to understand Maya's reign of terror from 1986 to 1991 in Mumbai. I met people who knew Maya. The film is not a documentary, cinematic liberties have been taken,'' he added.

No comments: